Human trafficking and slavery on the Elita and .....now unpaid sailors on Barkly Pearl and Diamantina. The Guardian reported that "Thirty five sailors were left unpaid for three months while aboard live export cattle ships with poor safety records amid a dispute between the ships’ managers and owners, one of whom is Australian businessman Nick Thorne". Apparently, both ships are 70% owned by Singaporean company Beng Kuang Marine (BKM) with Thorne owning the remaining 30% through his Northern Territory-based cattle export business, NTXLS.
The 7,700 tonne Diamantina and the 5,400 tonne Barkly Pearl normally take cattle from Australia to south east Asia but have been sitting idle in Indonesian waters for the past three months amid a dispute between the owners and their manager, Global Radiance Ship Management. Barkly Pearl was booted out of Australia by AMSA for 2 years in Jan 2021 after sailing around with a hole in the hull just months after being written up in Beef Central as an example of the world's highest standards!
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.